Wednesday, June 22, 2011

the birthday gardens







My garden's are in....and I'm kinda glad I waited because after the monsoon rains that hit these past few weeks, I think everything would have been washed away.



This year for the first time we built raised beds. We also started seeds inside and I also experimented with seeds right from package into the ground. A special thanks to Bib and Stew for all their sweat and heavy lifting, as I couldn't have pulled this off without them.



For this year we are growing the following: peas, yellow and green beans, carrots, a few herbs and tomatoes. I am starting out small, as we are also receiving a half share of produce from our CSA come July.



My main go to's for this project, were some of these books, as well as this site sent from my friend Dan. Overall an easy project, and I'm so excited as I've been wanting a garden, well, since forever it seems. Stew was able to empty almost a complete composter and mix it with the soil I ordered, so that gives us lots of room for this winter, and the other one will be good for next summer.


This also gets us one step closer to finishing our backyard - fingers are crossed for a new flagstone patio come the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment